E-Sign Testing In-Progress

by Tom Farley on June 25, 2010

In a previous blog posting, I asked what REALTORS® thought of the Arizona Association of REALTORS® (AAR) investigating the possibility of offering e-signatures as a new member service. The response was pretty positive, and thus we have moved forward with our investigations.

We have spoken to several vendors and have pricing from each vendor. We are currently testing two products for their respective ease of use, integration with our electronic forms, price, user interface and several other criteria. Testers include both AAR staff and members of the association. We may add a third vendor to the testing if they can bring a better deal. HINT…HINT!

Offering e-signatures is not an inexpensive direction for AAR. We are looking at costs for plans that provide a base level of envelopes/transactions plus reduced pricing for members to upgrade their plan to unlimited plans.

This is an exciting and worthwhile exercise for the benefit of our members and their clients. Stay tuned!!!

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Dean Ouellette June 26, 2010 at 8:02 am

Remember Tom, sometimes just a few bucks is not that big of a deal, when it comes to e-signatures there is one company to me that stands heads and shoulders above the others for their DocuSigning capabilities and incredible support (Hint Hint)

SedonaKathy aka Kathy Howe June 26, 2010 at 9:53 am

Tom, I have been telling my learners that you are working on this. Thanks. This could be the one way where our REALTOR(R) membership realizes that they can truly do all transactions paperless! What a joy as a broker not to see another faxed piece of paper. Rock on!

Beth Larsen June 26, 2010 at 10:29 am

I just started using electronic signature software (DocuSign) about 2 months ago and the response from my clients has been overwhelmingly positive. I’ve only had one person prefer not to use it, and of course it’s important to be able to service those clients as well, but I agree that this is a service that would bring a lot of value to AAR members and our clients.

Thanks to Tom and AAR staff for being pro-active and helping us to be more productive!

Richard Tripp June 27, 2010 at 6:36 am

We are currently using docusign & absolutely love it, saves a lot of time is simple & easy to use & the contracts come back fast & clean, easy to read. Go for it. dick t

Jeffrey "Mr. Tech" Raskin June 27, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Tom, we need to see how AAR can advertise the member benefits more effectively, as the majority of agents have no idea what MLS connect is even though it is a member benefit. The reason nobody used the automatic email newsletter that AAR used to offer is because nobody knew about it, and therefore AAR canceled it. ( a couple years back)

Tom Farley June 27, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Mr. Raskin:
WARNING…the information below may sound confusing to many. I am sure there is a better way to communicate the information below more effectively. What agents need to know is that in the very near future, MLSConnect and other auto-population efforts into the AAR forms will soon be more effective and efficient. Upgrades are currently in process.

AAR is working on two efforts in regards to integration of information to and into AAR’s forms in Zipforms: MLSConnect and “Non-MLSConnect like fields”. What does that mean? Well after the upgrades to MLSConnect field mapping, data that can be imported from the MLS will auto populate more fields in the AAR Coversheet as well as same fields in the AAR family of electronic forms in Zipforms.

Also, upgrades and repairs are being made between “Non-MLSConnect like fields” from the AAR Coversheet that will auto-fill those same fields in AAR’s other forms. Before the repairs, agents would type information into the AAR Coversheet and the information would more often than not fail to auto-populate like fields in AAR’s other forms. Once the repairs are complete, this will no longer be the case.

When the upgrades to both MLSConnect and “Non-MLSConnect like fields” are completed, agents will click on MLSConnect when they first open a transaction in ZipForms. More information will auto-populate the AAR Coversheet and other like fields in AAR’s family of forms. Then agents will find that information that they type into the AAR Coversheet, that was not populated via MLSConnect, will also auto-populate more fields into AAR’s family of electronic forms. In short… less typing.

When both of these upgrades are completed, we will announce that the upgrades are ready for use. No sense in advertising something that is being tested and not yet released. Stay tuned.

Regards,
Tom Farley, CEO
Arizona Association of REALTORS (AAR)

Kimberly King June 28, 2010 at 7:25 am

Thanks for the info, and also the explanation of how MLS Connect is supposed to work. We are still having issues getting ours up and running, but we are working on it.

Tom Farley June 28, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Hi Dean-

Thanks for your comments. All of the companies that we are testing are pretty similiar in their functions and capabilities or they will be very similiar soon. When it comes to providing a new member benefit to almost 42,000 members charged on a monthly basis… a few bucks adds up quickly.

I am waiting on a proposal from DocuSign that I should have very soon. Hopefully, it will be something that our members will be happy with and our association can provide on an going basis.

Proposals that have been submitted to us that are mearly teasers to get our members interested in their product are not being seriously considered. And yes, we have received a few of those to date.

Thanks,

Tom

Colette Rosati June 28, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I look forward to the member benefit of an e signature feature such as “Docusign”. I am willing to be one of your field testers as soon as you need someone. It helps in moving us towards going paperless. Thanks.

An Bui, DocuSign Social Media June 28, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Tom, Everyone – thanks so much for providing clarity around AAR & your in-progress testing.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if I can be of service.

Thanks,
An Bui
Sr. Manager, Social Media

kerry melcher June 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I’m currently testing two of the potential digital signature services for AAR and love this as a potential benefit. I’ve used Docusign in the past as well. After testing these other products I’m convinced that users/REALTORS® will like either of these as well as Docusign. Certain features integrated into the Digital Ink make it much easier to use with our ZipForms than Docusign.

I want easy to use for me, my clients and other professionals. I want a signature that meets security standards. I want the price to be right. If AAR can give this as a benefit to us I want to make sure the price is good enough that they can keep giving it to us as well as ZipForms, Transaction Management, Michelle Lind, great lobbying, GRI education, etc. etc. AND whatever else we (the AAR Board of Directors) come up with.

Margarette Gatchell,PLLC August 25, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I can’t wait to hear the results.

Rick Triola, Settleware Founder October 5, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Hi Tom,

Been happy to particpate and appreciate your consideration. Let us know if you need any more testers.

Best, Rick