REALTORS Property Resource – RPR – Goes Live in (Most of) Arizona

by Jay Thompson on October 6, 2010

rpr-logo

Back in August, Kelley Koehler wrote an article here on the AAR Blog, An Introduction to RPR. Kelley did a great job explaining the basics of RPR, which at the time of the writing was still in a very limited beta release.

Flash forward to yesterday… RPR is now live and available in Arizona.

Or at least most of Arizona.

If your MLS is participating, you can venture over to the RPR site right now and set up your free account. (You will need your NRDS number in order to register for an account.)

Which Arizona MLSs are now live on RPR?

Here’s a screen shot straight off the RPR account setup screen showing the MLSs in Arizona that are currently live on RPR:

AZ MLS's live on RPR

In addition to the above, both the Green Valley / Sahuarita Association of REALTORS and the Santa Cruz County Board of REALTORS are on board with RPR, but their launch dates are to be scheduled in the future.

The glaring omission in Arizona MLS / board coverage is Tucson / TARMLS.

What can you do on RPR?

The best way to see what you can do on RPR is to get an account and explore. The user interface is clean, simple and easy to maneuver. (Read Kelley’s post too.)

Think of RPR as a big giant database that has information on properties – all properties, not just those listed for sale. Tax records, area demographic information, sales trends, school districts, zoning, neighborhood data, economic info, trends and more. Also included are some very nice, very easy to generate reports – property reports, seller reports and market activity reports.

Think CMAs, but beefed up with all sorts of local and market information. RPR is a listing presentation all wrapped up in a shiny bow and only a few mouse clicks away.

So go ahead, create a FREE account, put your picture and brokerage logo in your profile and explore. There is a wealth of information available literally at your fingertips.

What do you think of RPR? How will you use it in your business? Let us know in the comments!

Comments Closed

{ 9 comments }

Reggie from RPR October 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Thanks for helping spread the word Jay! I wanted to note that we’ve setup support.narrpr.com for training needs. And for help setting up your account for the first time, watch this video:

Kevin McQueen October 7, 2010 at 4:30 am

This is a very unique opportunity for the members of the Arizona Association of REALTORS (AAR) to access information outside of their MLS. In a recent statewide survey, 70% of the respondents indicated that they wanted to be able to search all of the listings in the state through one system. While RPR is not an MLS and does not include an offer of compensation or data entry, it does provide for a technology platform for all of the members to share listings and gain access to all of the listings, if all of the MLSs choose to share with others. It is my understanding that some of the MLSs have already agreed to share their MLS information with others through RPR (MLS data sharing). If they all share the active and off-market listings with all of the AAR members, this could become a “statewide data share” through RPR. In the meantime, members can determine what’s in it for them by accessing the RPR system to learn about the new software and features. They will evaluate the availability and accuracy of the public records (varies by county and area) and see how their local MLS information is presented through RPR. This is a great opportunity and the members should take full advantage of it by trying it out and providing direct feedback about their RPR experiences to their local associations and MLSs. The members will ultimately determine the value of RPR as the beneficiaries of this new platform. We look forward to your comments.

Kelley Koehler October 7, 2010 at 9:15 am

Glaring omission, indeed. *cough cough get with the program tucson mls cough*

Francces Flynn Thorsen October 7, 2010 at 11:28 am

Perhaps Tucson MLS leadership is taking a careful look at the RPR matter … I hardly think RPR is a slam dunk in terms of MLS adoption.

I saw Reggie Nicolay’s recent video showing a “Listing Presentation” flavored market data study. Happily, NAR reversed itself against its early position saying that Realtors were strictly prohibited to use RPR data in listing presentations.

I understand there are serious restrictions about using RPR data on blogs and websites. Am I incorrect in this regard? Did NAR reverse itself on this also?

Joseph Ferrara wrote about RPR at some length last year … As always, he made some excellent points.

Will sellers be able to “opt out” their data for AVM purposes? Are MLS beta testers in Arizona offering an “opt out” for their sellers? If so, what percentage of sellers choose to “opt out.” [Jay, How many of your sellers have opted out of RPR?]

Joe said, “Under the Department of Justice (DOJ) settlement with NAR, home sellers have the right to leave out AVM from their home marketing meal. But I suspect NAR will keep the RVM in the RPR soup, arguing it is not on a public facing menu. This is a midnight raid on the fridge, against the weight watching requirements of the settlement. NAR members will definitely get fat on the RVM fast food.”

Is NAR headed for another round with the DOJ — using public tax records at the same time it is restricting public access to the data?

Is there a plan to share RPR with Realtor.com? In recent days we’ve seen Move.com acquire Listhub, a serious grab for property listing syndication supremacy. What does the relationship between RPR and Realtor.com look like on the story board in planning meetings in Chicago?

Realtor.com has a very checkered history with NAR membership … My instincts tell me Tucson leadership is wise to stand on the sidelines … RPR in Arizona may be a modern day rewrite of “The Emperor’s New Clothes.” Perhaps in 2011 Tucson will the little child in the crowd, declaring, “The Emperor is naked.”

Jay Thompson October 7, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Frances –

None of my sellers have opted out of RPR, or Zillow, or any other AVM. I carefully explain sites we syndicate listings to, including sites with AVMs, and the implications of being on all those sites to all my sellers. None have ever opted out.

I intentionally didn’t write about the “politics” surrounding RPR in this post. This post was intended to be informational — to let AAR members know that RPR was live in most areas of the state.

I’m not saying the politics shouldn’t be discussed. They should be. It’s important. That just wasn’t the intention of this article.

Phil Sexton October 7, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Hi Jay,
I think the comprehensive reports are the coolest. It’ll be fun to watch the different implementation strategies! Of course, my mind went to the internet. I’m thinking neighborhood reports like this may be a good offering on a REALTOR®’s website – similar to some of the automatic tools that cost $$$$.

Oh wait – the heat maps are pretty slick too. Maybe if they weren’t so red, they would be the coolest feature! :)

Francces Flynn Thorsen October 7, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Phil makes an excellent point!

Will RPR allow Realtors to post neighborhood reports on their websites and blogs? Early indications pointed to a prohibitive posture in this regard. Happily, RPR backed away from the prohibition about using the data in listing presentations.

What sayest Reggie?

Phil Sexton October 7, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Frances,
Thanks for your comment! I want to make sure I clarify the implementation strategy I’m talking about.

I’m not recommending REALTORS® post these reports on their websites with unrestricted access. I’m pretty sure that would be a violation of RPR’s 7.1.2010 Terms of Service see 2.2.

The automatic tools I was thinking about combine a lead generation form with a valuable offering. However, I’m the first to question my interpretation of legal mumbo-jumbo. If Reggie wants to jump back in that would be great!

Reggie from RPR October 7, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Wow Phil, you could double as a lawyer. ;)

Comments on this entry are closed.