If Equity Matters, Marketing Matters
East Valley native Ryan Paul Johnson is no stranger to challenge. When he was 18, he broke his neck during a snowboarding accident and worked diligently to regain the ability to walk.
During the Great Recession in 2008, he started a career in real estate and 10 years later decided to write a consumer-centric book, If Your Equity Matters, The Marketing Matters — a how-to manual for selling homes.
“Your reason for moving must be greater than the hassle to accomplish it.” – Ryan Paul Johnson
Instead of the traditional Three P’s of Real Estate (Put it in the MLS, Put up a sign, Pray that is sells), Ryan proposes adapting Fortune 500 marketing techniques into the field of real estate.
Here are a few examples:
- Getting your house ready to sell is all about removing mental barriers and priming the buyer to imagine the house as an important character in their life story.
- Now that you’re selling, (it’s) like a bag of chips at the grocery store…not everyone is going to like the flavor of your house. That is okay. Some people might even hate the flavor of your house and say as much. Don’t take it personally.
- A story-based approach to marketing real estate takes the list of features and makes them meaningful to the buyer by engaging their imagination. (Buyers) aren’t thinking about what’s in the kitchen. They’re imagining what happens in the kitchen.
- The easiest way to find a good story to match the house is by talking to the homeowner:
- How they found and bought the house
- What they love about the neighborhood
- What they’re going to miss most about living in the house.
His new book also includes a helpful 45-page glossary of real estate terms.
Related article: Local REALTOR® Explains Why Home Is Where the Heart IsTags: 3 P's, If Your Equity Matters, Ryan Johnson, Ryan Paul Johnson, Three P's of Real Estate